Airtel Networks Limited is a leading telecommunications services provider in Nigeria headquartered in Lagos, the commercial nerve-centre of Nigeria. The telco ranks amongst the top four mobile service providers in terms of subscribers with a customer base of more than 39.8 million. The company’s product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce and enterprise services.
Airtel’s parent company, Bharti Airtel Limited is a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 16 countries across Asia and Africa. Headquartered in New Delhi, India, the company ranks amongst the top 3 mobile service providers globally in terms of subscribers. In India, the company’s product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce, fixed line services, high speed home broadband, DTH, enterprise services including national & international long distance services to carriers. In the rest of the geographies, it offers 2G, 3G, 4G wireless services and mobile commerce. Bharti Airtel had over 413 million customers across its operations at the end of March 2018.
Airtel has network presence in all states of the Federation, Local Government Areas, major towns and villages in Nigeria. The company’s mobile networks cover over 70% of Nigeria’s population and its 3G coverage ratio is over 41%. The company’s distribution network spreads across over 40,000 retail outlets with well over 332,042 retailers.
In the Financial Year 2016- 17, Airtel’s network carried over 420Tb (Terabytes) of data volume.
Airtel is known for its Corporate Social Investments programmes, particularly its Adopt-a-School initiative, which seeks to provide a 360 degree approach for identifying, nurturing and developing the minds of underprivileged children across public primary schools.
Airtel has also consistently intervened in areas of health-care, access to clean water and several charity projects within its four adopted schools just as it is bankrolling the Airtel Touching Lives programme, a revolutionary initiative designed to offer practical relief to the underprivileged, hard-to-reach and downtrodden. While Airtel has scored big with its Adopt-a-School programme and the Touching Lives initiative, its Employee Volunteer Scheme has also provided an outlet for its staff to directly participate in touching the lives of members of the many communities where it operates.
- 2001 – Awarded Digital Mobile License (DML) for communication services in Nigeria
- 2001 – Becomes first telecoms operator to launch commercial GSM services on August 5
- 2003 – Wins Most Customer Sensitive Network (Thisday Newspapers)
- 2003 – Wins Best Customer-Friendly Network (Telecoms Awards)
- 2005 – Wins Best Customer Care Operator (Telecoms Awards)
- 2005 – Wins GSM Company of the Year (City People Magazine)
- 2006 – Wins Best Customer Care Operator (Telecoms Awards)
- 2006 – Wins Best Customer Care Mobile Company (IT & Telecoms Digest, 2006)
- 2007 – Wins the Brand of the Year and Good Governance Awards (Thisday Awards)
- 2008 – Wins Best Customer Care Award (Nigerian Communications Commission)
- 2009 – Wins the Best Customer Care Award (Nigerian Information Technology and Telecoms Awards)
- 2010 – Launches service under the brand name Airtel.
- 2011 – Becomes the first Telco to rollout 3.75G Network pan Nigeria
- 2011 – Launches award-winning CSR programme, Adopt-a-School
- 2011 – Wins the Best Customer Care Operator (Telecoms Awards)
- 2011 – Wins the CSR Awards for Educational Development (Organized PR Practitioners)
- 2012 – Adjudged by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management as the Telco with best HR practices
- 2012 – Becomes first Telco to complete 4G LTE field trial
- 2012 – Becomes first Telco to launch the revolutionary HD Voice Service
- 2013 – Wins triple awards for customer service, brand innovation and company of the year at the prestigious Nigerian Telecoms Awards.
- 2013 – Adjudged best Telco Company by CIPM for best HR practices in telecoms sector
- 2014 – Launches Airtel Touching Lives, revolutionary CSR programme to uplift the less privilege
- 2014 – Adjudged by the prestigious SERA Panel as Best CSR Company in Education delivery
- 2015 – Bagged the Association of Telecommunications Company of Nigeria’s Merit Award
- 2015 – Named Telecoms Brand of the Year by the African Leadership Magazine
- 2016 – Named Most Friendly Customer Operator by the Nigerian Telecoms Awards
- 2016 – Airtel Nigeria’s CEO, Segun Ogunsanya, named Telecoms CEO of the Year by the Nigerian Telecoms Awards
- 2016 – Airtel Nigeria’s CEO, Segun Ogunsanya, named Telecoms CEO of the Year by Marketing Edge Magazine
- 2016 – Airtel Nigeria was awarded the ‘Best Company in Reduction of Inequality’ (SDG 10) at the prestigious SERA Awards, a notable platform that recognizes exceptional CSR interventions in Nigeria.
- 2017 – Awarded great place to work in Jobberman
- 2017 – Airtel’s TVC, Data is Life, bags three awards at African Cristal Festival
- 2017 – Airtel gets award for selfless service, joins LUTH for World Blood Donor Day
- 2017 – Airtel Adjudged Best Company In Recruitment
- 2017 – CEO Named Best Telecoms CEO In Africa
- 2017 – Airtel Nigeria bags LCCI Service Excellence in Telecom Award
- 2017 – Airtel adjudged Most Outstanding Customer-Centric Telecoms Brand by MarketingEdge
- 2017 – Payment Innovation in Telecom Award at INTERSWITCH Awards
- 2017 – Airtel Wins Award for Excellence in CSR at Global Patriot Newspaper’s
- 2017 – Telecom CEO of the Year Award
- 2017 – NTITA CSR Execellence Award
- 2017 – Best TV Commercial campaign Award
- 2017 – Airtel adjudged best company in stakeholder engagement at SERAS 2017
- 2017 – Airtel’s Lost TVC wins Gold at Epica Awards
- 2017 – Airtel’s TVC Lost wins best Commercial at LAIF Awards